As gelato has become more and more popular in the USA, the culinary world has taken an interest and formed a gelato team to compete in international competitions. The official Gelato Team USA was in founded in 2005 by Chef Claude Lambertz and Chef John Hui to compete in the prestige’s Gelato World Championship “Coppa del Mondo della Gelateria” in Italy. Since 2006 Team USA has participated in eight gelato world competitions. Gelato Team USA has received “Best Gelato Cake” award in 2006 and “Best Gelato Tub” award in 2008. Team USA received the International “Best Taste Award” and the “People’s Choice Award” in 2012.
In 2016 Gelato Team USA scored high in individual disciplines of the competition. They won first place in ice sculpture. Ice carving and ice sculpture is one of the seven elements the team has to perform during the four-day culinary competition. The team also secured a 3rd place in the Mystery Box Gelato Challenge. The team had several 4th and 5th places and came in 7th in the overall classification.
The Gelato World Cup is distinguished by strong media exposure, aimed at giving international resonance to new trends in the artisan gelato industry.
2018 Gelato Team USA Members
- Randy Torres, CEC, AAC – Team Manager – Chef Instructor – Oregon Coast Culinary Institute – Coos Bay, OR
- Stefano Biasini – Maestro Gelatiere / Owner – Gran Caffe L’Aquilla – Philadelphia, PA
- Chris Foltz – Executive Chef – The Mill Casino, North Bend, OR
- Lyn Wells – Chef Instructor – Utah Valley University, Orem, UT
- Darrell Folck, CEPC, CEC – Baking & Pastry Chef Instructor – Oregon Coast Culinary Institute – Coos Bay, OR
The team will continue to practice together and individually until the Gelato World Cup competition.
If you are interested in sponsoring the Gelato Team USA 2018 please contact:
Team Manager, Randy Torres CEC, ACC
Team Coordinator, Del Clark
Oregon Coast Culinary Institute
1988 Newmark Ave
Coos Bay, OR 97420